Daniel Schmelka, M.D.
Dr. Schmelka joins Northern Virginia Radiology Consultants as a board-certified interventional radiologist. Dr. Schmelka was educated at the University of Ottawa in Ontario, Canada where he completed his medical degreen in 1993. He completed his residency in Diagnostic Radiology and fellowship in Interventional Radiology at the University of Illinois Chicago Medical Center. He is board certified in diagnostic radiology with a certificate of added qualification (CAQ) in Interventional Radiology.
Before moving to Northern Virginia, Dr. Schmelka practiced in the upper Midwest including Chicago, Northern Minnesota, and North Dakota. He was most recently the co-director of Interventional Radiology at Altru Medical Center where he provided a full compliment of IR procedures including endovascular stent grafting of aneurysms, carotid artery stunting, radio and chemoembolization of liver tumors, varicose vein ablation, kyphoplasty for vertebral fractures, transjugular intrahepatic portosystem shunt placement, (TIPS), dialysis procedures, and more.
Dr. Schmelka is married with three children. He is an avid golfer and hockey player. He also loves to travel and enjoys the great history of the Washington metropolitan region.
- Undergraduate Studies, University of Ottawa, Canada
- MD, University of Ottawa, Canada
- Diagnostic Radiology, University of Illinois Chicago Medical Center
- Interventional Radiology, University of Illinois Chicago Medical Center
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology, CAQ
- Virginia Hospital Center Medical Staff
- Medical Society of Virginia