Russell E. McWey, M.D.
Dr. McWey is the Chief of Medical Imaging and a 23-year member of Virginia Hospital Center medical staff. He is board-certified in Nuclear Medicine and Diagnostic Radiology with added qualifications in Vascular and Interventional Radiology and has experience in interventional procedures including TIPS, chemoembolization, biliary and vascular stents, varicose vein treatment, and the vascular lab. He was a Co-Director of Interventional Radiology. He has been a member of the Virginia Hospital Center medical staff since 1987, and a member of the Board of Directors since 2005. He has served on multiple medical staff and Board committees and has been the Medical Director of Medical Imaging and a member of the Medical Executive Committee for 10 years. He is the Hospital Radiation Safety Officer and also serves as the Hospital’s Chief Medical Information Officer.
Dr. McWey has degrees in Electrical Engineering and served in the U.S. Naval Submarine Service for seven years as a nuclear engineer and line officer prior to attending medical school in Charleston, S.C. in 1979. Dr. McWey served as Chief Resident in Radiology at the Medical University of South Carolina in 1986-87 prior to his arrival at the
- BSE, Villanova University, Electrical Engineering
- MS, US Naval Postgraduate School
- MD, Medical University of South Carolina
- Diagnostic Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina
- Interventional Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina
- Nuclear Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology, CAQ
- American College of Radiology
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Interventional Radiology